Monday, December 14, 2015

My Son Won't Let Me Talk to His Wife About Converting

The Seesaw for The Jewish Daily Forward   

My daughter-in-law is wonderful. We love her. She is not Jewish, though has been a happy and willing participant at our holidays and at our Conservative temple and has told me that she is growing a real affection for our faith.

Now she is pregnant with my grandson and my son says we shouldn’t make too big a deal about matrilineal descent, that it doesn’t matter to him if she converts and they would be welcome at a Reform synagogue in the future. But I feel like I should have the right to at least express my feelings about the benefits of conversion to her, while making it clear that even though I will be disappointed if she doesn’t do it, I will love her and her child no less and our relationship will not change. Is my son being an unfair censor? Or I am inserting myself where I don’t belong?

Continue reading.

Follow us on   


No comments:

Post a Comment