Monday, May 30, 2016

What Not to Say to an Interfaith Couple About to Get Married

Jacob Wake Up! for Jewschool

For better or for worse, we’ve become totally accustomed to it. I am Jewish, my fiancée is not, and we are getting married. People feel they have license to say some of the most chutzapahdik things to us–mostly her–both online and in real life. We’ve chosen to have a Jewish wedding, raise Jewish children, and keep a Jewish home. Not that this is a defense, it’s just some background. Our decisions are enough of a threat to people that they feel the need to say pretty aggressive things to us. We had grown used to it and it wasn’t until my fiance was having a conversation with my mother (who affectionately calls my fiancée and her family the machatunim, as she should). My mother was shocked and appalled that people would say such things to our faces. This led me to believe that maybe there were others who thought we were skating by.

Continue reading.

Follow us on   

1 comment:

  1. My wife and I are both from the South (GA and SC), and we wanted a true southern wedding. We couldn't have picked a better place! The food and service from Malibu wedding venues are superb. This is the closest as I've found since moving.

    ReplyDelete