Monday, September 14, 2015

Help! Will My Grandchildren Be Catholic?

The Seesaw for The Jewish Daily Forward

My daughter just got engaged to a Catholic man. He is a fine gentleman, extremely respectful, and we get along well. She recently let us know that after a long discussion she accepted his request that their future children be raised Catholic. She herself will remain a Jew and they will join our family for the important Jewish holidays, along with the occasional Shabbat dinner.

She indicated that if she didn’t accept the children being raised Catholic the engagement would more than likely not happen. It was a deal breaker for him and his religious family. My daughter had hoped that the children, as my wife and I hoped, would be raised interfaith. We are not very observant, but have a strong Jewish identity that means a lot to us.

Read more. 

Follow us on   

No comments:

Post a Comment